We introduced background videos several versions ago. At that time, the background video could be applied only to the home page.
Later this was changed so you could select different background videos for different pages, posts or custom posts. Now, from V4.7.2 onwards, it’s even more flexible. You can set up a background video using a widget. By controlling where the widget is present you can dictate on which pages the background video appears. This makes it easy to have the same video playing on different pages without having to set the video up on each page individually.
Typical Use Of Background Video
For example, on a travel website, a typical set-up might be as follows :
- Home page has a special home page background video of waves on the beach
- Show background video of France on all posts in the “French Holiday” category
- Show background video of Italy on all posts in the “Italian Holiday” category
- Landing page with registration form for download of Island Holidays brochure has background video of island resort
- Landing page with registration form for download of Winter Holidays brochure has background video of Alpine resort
The landing page videos above would be set up in the Post/Page Editor for each page. Each of the other videos could be set up using a Genesis Club BigVideo widget and the pages on which they are displayed can be controlled by any one of a number of plugins such as Widget Logic, JetPack (widget visibility settings), Content Aware Sidebars, or similar.
Upgrading From Genesis Club Pro 4.6 to 4.7.1
If you are only using background video on landing pages you will NOT have to take any action before upgrading.
Only if you are using a background video on the HOME page of your site will you need to take the following action BEFORE upgrading in order to continue to have a background video on the home page.
- Go to the Media section and copy the settings to a notepad window on your desktop.
- Upgrade the plugin to the latest version
- Drag a Genesis Club BigVideo widget into any of your home page widget areas
- Copy and paste the settings from notepad into the widget then Save
Page Editor – Background Video Settings
For landing pages where you typically have a different video for each landing page then complete the video settings on the editor for the landing page.
You will typically use this for landing pages but in fact you can set up a background video on any page, post or custom post.
Genesis Club BigVideo Widget
For the home page, and where you want the same video to be displayed on different pages use the Genesis Club BigVideo widget. The widget is highlighted in yellow below.
For the home page video we like to put the widget in a widget area that only appears on the home page, e.g Home Left, Home Feature, etc
For other pages our preference is to use the Widget Logic plugin to determine on which pages the widget appears. For example,
in_category(4) would put the background video on all posts in category 4.